Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The Pursuit of Self

It's everywhere you turn: in movies, books, and music - everyone is on an adventurous journey to find...

themselves.

Huh?

But it's the truth. It is like every formulaic romantic comedy where at the end the girl says, "I set out to find love and happiness, but I ended up finding something even better: myself." Then she glibly walks into the sunset as if all her problems are now solved.

First of all, I think it is weird you don't know who you are. You have lived with yourself for some 20+ years and you STILL don't know YOU yet!? It's not that difficult -you are with yourself all the time. It is kind of unavoidable.

Also, this constant purusit of self has made us all become self-centered - now it is all about me, because apparently I am a lost, confused person, and I have to do everything in my power to figure out who I am so I can have some semblance of a normal, happy life.

On a more serious note, we spend so much effort into trying to understand ourselves, when we should really be trying to understand our Creator. God called us into relationship with Him, not with ourselves.

It is so much more rewarding to develop an intimate relationship with Christ, you constantly learn new things and are always amazed at His unconditional love, comfort, and grace.

To me, being in pursuit of the God who created me by hand and has an exciting plan for my life is better than any other journey I could partake in. In fact, it is the adventure of a lifetime and one that God has invited each and every one of us to experience.

And that's my two cents.

1 comment:

  1. The reason you can't understand why people can't find themselves is because you place your identity in Christ. You use Christ as a model for what you are striving for. People without Christ have to find another model, and that's why they don't know who they are.

    ReplyDelete