Friday, March 5, 2010

I'm Leaving...on a Jet Plane

It's finally here!!!

Tomorrow (ok actually today) I am leaving for Granada, Spain on a missions trip with Chi Alpha. We will be evangelizing to college students and helping a local pastor and other students start up a Chi Alpha in Granada.

Granada is in the south of Spain, in a region called Andalucia. It was one of my favorite cities when I visited Spain last summer, and I cannot WAIT to be back in this gorgeous city! The blend of the intricate architecture and mountainous scenery is breathtaking. I have never seen the Eiffel Tower or the Taj Mahal, but for me, the Alhambra in Granada is it - I don't think any view will top it for me.

Originally, I actually wanted to go on an Alternative Spring Break service trip with UVA as an opportunity to meet more people outside of Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship. But I missed the deadline to sign up, which is very out of character for me, and looking back, I realize that was totally God calling me to Spain.

I ultimately chose Spain out of all of the Chi Alpha missions trip not because I had been to Granada before and wanted to go back, but because it is an evangelism trip. I am actually not a huge fan of evangelism, I worry I come across as pushy and don't want to add to the negative stereotypes of Christians.

But evangelism is God's great commission. In Matthew 28:19-20, when Jesus was about to go up to heaven, He said, "go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you."

So I figure this is a BIG part of my Christian faith that is lacking! I NEED to step outside of my comfort zone. I know that not only will God will be working in the hearts of the Spaniards while we are there, but He will be working in my heart as well to learn to trust Him more deeply.

Just the other day, my friend gave me a check to help fund my trip to Spain, and later when I looked at the check in the "for" section she had written "for God's glory." In the crazyness of this past week, that check made me stop in my tracks and was a complete wake up call. It was a reminder that this what this entire missions trip is for: God's glory. And her writing that on the check meant so much to me - it was such a sweet and touching way to express why she was supporting me financially!

While the first part of Matthew 28:19-20 is most famous, I feel like the second part speaks to me the most, because Jesus says, "And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." It helps to remind me that God is on my side, and even if I mess up, He is smiling down on me. I am merely the vessel to do His work.

So I am SO excited to let God challenge me and grow on this trip! THANK YOU to all of my sponsors -I could not be going on this exciting journey if it weren't for your support. I am going to try to blog while I am in Spain - depending on where I can get internet access and if we have time.

Please pray for my team that we can effectively spread God's word to the people of Spain!

And that's my two cents.

No comments:

Post a Comment